Monday, December 7, 2009

Bookshare is Great Volunteer Opportunity

Ever since my local chapter of RFB & D (Reading for the Blind and Dyslexic) closed last year, I have been looking for a similar volunteer activity where I could use my communication and education background in a meaningful way. Today I received an e-mail from the former director of the local RFB & D, Nina Leone, who is now affiliated with a new online volunteer organization called Bookshare. Nina asked former RFB & D volunteers to join Bookshare and to encourage others to do the same.

At Nina's request, I have checked out Bookshare and I believe I will join. Let me tell you about it and maybe you would consider joining. As Nina tells me, "Bookshare is the leading provider in the nation of educational electronic books specifically designed for the blind, visually impaired, and dyslexic individuals with print disabilities." She goes on to describe how Bookshare works and their need for volunteers. The main difference, she notes, between Bookshare and RFB & D is that Bookshare volunteers work totally from home, whereas RFB & D volunteers work at the RFB & D center. In truth, I prefer the Bookshare format, as our local RFB & D center was quite far from my home.

Bookshare volunteers need only an Internet connection, good computer skills (web browsing and basic word processing), and a passion for books. That certainly describes me. I'm guessing it describes many of you too. So, if you're looking for a way to make a difference this year, check out Bookshare.

What do you say?